Grilled Tomato-Bell Pepper Gazpacho
- 3 ¼ to 3 ½ lbs. firm but ripe medium tomatoes
- 1 8 to 9 oz red bell pepper
- 1 8 to 9 oz red onion, unpeeled, quartered lengthwise
- 8 tblspn extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 5x3x1/2 inch slices country-style bread
- 3 garlic cloves, divided
- 1 10 to 11 oz cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, cut into small cubes, divided
- 3 tblspn Sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tspn chopped fresh marjoram
- ¾ tspn smoked paprika
- ½ tspn ground cumin
- ¼ tspn cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup cold water (optional)
- 3 green onions, cut into thin strips
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Place first 3 ingredients on baking sheet.
- Brush with 3 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush both sides of bread with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Grill vegetables until skins are charred, turning frequently, about 8 minutes for tomatoes, 10 minutes for onion, and 15 minutes for pepper. Return to baking sheet.
- Grill bread until toasted, about 1 ½ minutes per side. Cut 1 garlic clove in half; rub over toasted sides of bread. Cut bread into small cubes; reserve croutons.
- Remove charred skins and cores from tomatoes. Peel, seed, and core pepper; coarsely chop. Remove charred papery peel and core from onion. Set aside half of chopped cucumber for garnish.
- Working in 2 batches, add half each of tomatoes, pepper, onion, and remaining cucumber to processor and blend until coarse puree forms. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Repeat with remaining tomatoes, pepper, and onion.
- Using garlic press, squeeze in remaining 2 garlic cloves. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons vinegar, marjoram, smoked paprika, cumin, and cayenne.
- Thin soup, if desired, with cold water by ¼ cupfuls. Season with salt and pepper. Chill at least 2 hours
Season gazpacho to taste with more salt and more vinegar, if desired. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with cucumber, croutons, and green onions.
Do ahead: Gazpacho and croutons can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover gazpacho and chopped cucumber garnish separately and refrigerate. Cover and store croutons at room temperature.