Wilted Spinach Salad with Oranges, Radishes, and Citrus Vinaigrette
- 5 ounces baby spinach, about 6 cups
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ teaspoon grated zest and segments from 2 medium oranges
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
- 4 medium radishes, grated on large holes of box grater (about 1/3 cup)
- Place spinach in large bowl.
- Add oil, shallot, orange zest, salt, pepper, and sugar to small skillet and cook over medium heat until shallot is slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice; swirl to incorporate.
- Pour warm dressing over spinach; add orange segments and grated radishes, and toss gently to wild.
- Serve immediately.
To cut neat orange sections free of membrane and pith, slice off the peel and pith using a very sharp paring knife and following the contour of the fruit. Then, holding the orange over a bowl and working section by section, slip the knife between the membrane and section and slice to the center. Turn the blade and slide it along the membrane on the second side of the section to completely free the section.
Cook’s Illustrated # 55 (May/April 2002)